Security Questions

From: Paul Kitwin <PAUKIT_at_HBSI.COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:35:51 -0800

Hello all,

Well, as we are all used to, when it rains, it pours.

We have some servers (8400, 8200, 4100, and a couple of 2100s running a
mix of 3.2g and 4.0X). Since they are not connected to the outside
world, security has not been much of an issue.

But now,

The powers that be want me to plug my primary server directly into a WAN
that I hove no control over. I've warned them that I am going to be
tightening security at the cost of ease of use.

My first volley of questions relate to TCP/IP.

1) Can anyone point me to a site or list that explains all of the port
services, what ports effect each other, etc.
2) Any recommendations for hardware and OS level encryption
services/solutions?
3) Pointers to SATAN for DEC Unix (I plan on running it internally to
test my own security, not for evil).
4) Any horror stories or tips for getting started down the path of
locking down my boxes?

TIA