SUMMARY - date field for syslog and millenium compliance

From: Emanuel Salazar <Emanuel.Salazar_at_mci.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 16:00 -0500 (EST)

hello managers:

I am writing to provide you with the answer to the question I posted.

My thanks to Dr. Blinn, and I hope that his reponse will help anyone
who is working on a year 2000 and DU project.
> RE: DU 4.0
> my syslog entries are showing the a 4-digit date w/o a year.
> Question: If there is no year in the date field for syslog?
> DEC has said that DU 4.0 is millennium compliant, but i do not see
> a date filed. is there a flag pt action that must be take for the
> date to appear in with syslog entries? -- I hope there is.

DIGITAL does not claim that DIGITAL UNIX V4.0 is year 2000 compliant.
Nor does DIGITAL claim that system log entries get time stamped any
differently in the system logs because of year 2000 compliance. You
seem to be a little bit confused about what year 2000 compliance
involves.

The point is, there has never been a year field output into the system
log files by the syslogd; I can find no explicit indication in the
reference page for the syslogd of the format of the date/time stamp it
uses, but it does not now (and has not ever, as far as I can tell)
output a year field as part of the time stamp. So the time stamp is
already year 2000 compliant; there is no part of the stamp that is
ambiguous as to whether the year value represented is in the 20th or
21st century (or any other) because there is no year value displayed.

Tom

Dr. Thomas P. Blinn, UNIX Software Group, Digital Equipment
Corporation

end of message

emanuel.salazar_at_mci.com
mci colorado springs, colorado