Addendum: telnetd prob

From: Britton Johnson <johnson_at_lindenwood.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 18:22:04 -0600 (CST)

Original message:

> I am running OSF 4.0(no letter) on an Alpha 4/233 (128mb ram).
> After a reboot today I was not able to telnet to this box. I could
> occassionaly get the Escape character is ^] but no login prompt. I
> couldn't even 'telnet localhost'. inetd was up. I could find no trace of
> a telnetd in 'ps aux | grep telnetd' but I didn't know if there would be
> one unless inetd had "gotten that far"... I used telnetd -debug <someport>
> and was able to connect. <cheer!> That sort of eased my tension that it
> may be login that is failing. I was getting new mail ok (I am working
> from the console obviously). It just appeared to me that the telnet port
> was clogged or something. I rebooted twice more in my attempts at
> different solutions (never making any permanant changes). Now, I went to
> write this note after having the "success" with -debug but still no login
> to the correct port and I got an odd itch to see if I could telnet FROM
> this box (don't know why I hadn't thought of that) and I could and
> wouldn't you know it, I could telnet in as well... I had thought it was
> net latency or something, but the pings were 1ms'ish. So I am wondering
> if this has happened to anyone before. The "only" thing this machine does
> is act as a mail and network news server for our campus (only about 1200
> users).. Any suggestions on info I can glean from syslog (I looked for
> any errors regarding telnetd or inetd without luck) or any info
> regarding experiences such as this is most appreciated.

yours...

>pc164lx (root) # grep telnet /etc/inetd.conf
>telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/telnetd telnetd

I should also add that obviously my login daemon was not at fault as I
had feared... I was logged in at the console in multiuser mode. Also, I
had attempted to login into this host from several machines, so it wasn't
a problem with a segment or something.

Would ps aux | grep telnetd show a daemon if no clients were currently
logged in? I didn't know if a "parent" daemon sits around waiting to
spawn off others or if inetd handles the spawning. I also tried to start
telnetd from the command line using the defaults and it complained that
the port was in use.

And finaly, just to reiterate that the problem "fixed itself" apparently,
but I am seeking informed suggestions in case it comes back again. Thanks
again for everything.

Britt

    Britton Johnson, Ass't System Admin.
   Lindenwood University, St. Charles, MO