Uninterruptible sleeping process

From: smcgly - Sean McGlynn <SMCGLY_at_acxiom.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 11:44:15 +0000

Hi Guys,

This is my first posting to this list, so please be gentle with me!!

One of our developers here was testing a new program. The program
crashed and seems to have locked out the file system that it was writing
some files to. All attempts to access the file system, even just running
an 'ls', end up with the processes becoming 'uninterruptible sleeping
processes' according to 'ps'. Has anybody come across similar problems
and has anybody got any ideas on how to cure this problem without
rebooting? All help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
  Sean
Sean McGlynn (TMIAU)

email smcgly_at_acxiom.co.uk