Uninterruptible sleeping process / file system lockout

From: smcgly - Sean McGlynn <SMCGLY_at_acxiom.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 12:56:39 +0000

Hi Guys,

This is my first posting to this list, so please be gentle with me!!

One of our developers here was testing a new program. The program
crashed and seems to have somehow locked out the file system that it was
writing some files to. All attempts to access the file system, even just
running an 'ls', end up with the processes becoming 'uninterruptible
sleeping processes' according to 'ps'. Has anybody come across similar
problems and has anybody got any ideas on how to cure this problem
without rebooting? I realise from previous postings that we probably
can't kill the processes, but is there any way that we can free up the
file system? We're running DU4.0B on an AlphaServer 4100. All help
greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

  Sean
Sean McGlynn (TMIAU)