[Q] PDF collections with NSES 3.5.1 and DU 4.0

From: Tom Webster <webster_at_ssdpdc.lgb.cal.boeing.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 16:27:23 -0800

Hi,

I tried posting a similar question on Netscape's server newsgroup and
have not gotten a reply yet, so I figured I'd ask the experts:

I just downloaded Netscape's Enterprise Server 3.5.1 and loaded it up on
our testbed system , an AlphaStation 500 running Digital UNIX 4.0b with
patch kit 004 and netscape's threads patch, to see if PDF indexing and
searching was working yet. Unless I'm doing something wrong, this
functionality still isn't present in the Digital UNIX versions of the
Enterprise server.

Has anyone else gotten this to work on DU? The ES 3.0.1 release notes
admit that the PDF indexing is broken and was to be fixed with a patch.
The ES 3.5.1 release notes do not mention any problems with indexing PDF
files. The behavior under ES 3.5.1 is the same as under 3.0.1, the
documents are all indexed quickly (too quickly) and all searches return
"0 of XX" matches, where XX is the total number of documents "indexed".

I've got a requirement to bring a server online in the next couple of
months that can index and search about 20GB of PDF files. I was really
hoping to use one of our UNIX based AlphaServers rather than having to
go out out and purchase an NT system to do the job.

Tom
--
| Tom Webster                       |  "Funny, I've never seen it     |