SUMMARY: Changing display default from 24 bit TrueColor to 8 bit PseudoColor on DEC Alpha 433au

From: Chris Vandersip <cvander_at_thunder.meas.ncsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 14:10:02 -0500

Chris Vandersip recently wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a meteorological program (GEMPAK) that requires our Xserver to
>
> be set to default in 8-bit mode in order to display the graphical
> plots
> it generates. The problem is our DEC 433au is defaulted to 24-bit
> mode
> and I don't know how to change it. Does anybody know how I can
> accomplish this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris V.

 Thanks to the folks at Unidata (UCAR) in Boulder, CO, our problem is
solved. Here it is in a nut shell:

In root mode:

1. First run "xdpyinfo > xdpyinfo.out". This will list, among other
things, the "default visual id" for the system. Further down the list
you'll see a description of all possible visual id defaults. Our
default was "0x22", which corresponds to TrueColor, 24-plane mode.

2. This default is established in the "Xservers" file, located in
/usr/lib/X11/xdm directory. Within this file is the command to launch
the Xserver, given by: ":0 local /usr/bin/X11/X", which should be a
link to /usr/bin/X11/Xdec. The "-vclass" option for Xdec allows one to
configure the default visual. If it isn't specifically set in your
Xserver file (as in our case), then the system should default to 24 bit
mode.

3. To change the default to 8-bit PseudoColor, append that Xserver
launch command with the following:

                        -vclass0 PseudoColor

    Note: On our system the Xserver file was initially read-only, which
was easily changed with "chmod".

4. Shutdown and reboot the system. Logon and execute "xdpyinfo" again
and your new default visual id should be PseudoColor, 8-plane mode. Our
new default is "0x2e". You will still be able to access 24-bit color
visuals, just the default will be 8-bit.

Our program now displays its products just fine. Hope this helps
others.

Chris

Chris Vandersip
Mesoscale Analysis and Forecasting Lab
Res. III Bldg., Centennial Campus
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695

Phone: 919.515.1447
E-mail: cvander_at_thunder.meas.ncsu.edu