SUMMARY: Netscape 4.04 on DU 4.0B

From: Tugrul Yilmaz <tugrul-yilmaz_at_metu.edu.tr>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 13:30:12 +0200

Hi,
my original question was,

> yesterday I tried to install Netscape 4.04 on DU4.0B (all patches
> applied) but I could not succeed; Java is crashing the netscape
> window. We are still using Netscape 3.01 version and have no problem
> with Java. I used the following script (very similar to working 3.01
> version):
>
> REAL_NETSCAPE=/usr/opt/netscape/netscape
> NLIBDIR=/usr/opt/netscape
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$NLIBDIR; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> MOZILLA_HOME=$NLIBDIR; export MOZILLA_HOME
> exec $REAL_NETSCAPE -geom 700x700+200+0 &
>
> R5 file libXt.so is in /usr/opt/netscape. What is wrong with
> Netscape 4.04?

Thanks to the following for thier replies:

Andrew Gillies <A.Gillies_at_cns.ed.ac.uk>
Paul Watson <phwatso_at_cooper-energy-services.com>
joe_at_resptk.bhp.com.au (Joe Spanicek)
benites_at_woodfin.cs.unca.edu (Robert Benites)
Donald Bovee <bovee_at_amath.washington.edu>
"Charles M. Richmond" <cmr_at_koibito.iisc.com>
Lucien_HERCAUD_at_paribas.com

Two of the replies are below but I have still not succeeded.

>We have Netscape 4.04 working on DU4.0B - the key thing is do not use
>LD_LIBRARY_PATH stuff. Java in the new netscape works fine(ish)
>without it now (i.e. with the default libraries).

>I'm using it with no problems.
>Make sure your path points towards the directory where java40.jar is
>situated. I use netscpe with no script, just start the binary
>installed by the "inst-ns" supplied script (kit copied from Netscape
>directly)

Later I tried the upgrade facility of the netscape web page and received
the following response:

>You appear to be running:
>
> Netscape Navigator 3.01: Digital Unix: English
>
>Congratulations! You are already running the latest version available
>in your language. There is no need to upgrade.

Tugrul Yilmaz
Middle East Technical University      voice: +90-312-2105068
Physics Department                      fax: +90-312-2101281
Inonu Blv. 06531  Ankara, Turkey      Email: tugrul-yilmaz_at_metu.edu.tr