SUMMARY- POP login record in OSF?

From: Mark Schlam <mslist_at_castle.beaver.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:20:04 -0500 (EST)

Original question:
> I would like to distinguish between regular login records and POP logins.
> For example, in some OS's (VMS) there is a record of "interactive" and
> "non-interactive" logins and it even tells each user when the last login
> of each type occurred whenever you login interactively.
>
> Question - Where is this information kept?
> Our operating system is DU 4.0B.

Summary and with thanks to Paul and Gyula:
This depends on your POP daemon.

We use the University of Washington's imap/pop package, and it records
logins and logouts in /var/adm/syslog.dated/*/mail.log. I'm not aware
of anything else it does for login recording, nor do I know what other
flavors of POP daemons do. This was inconvenient to use for the
purposes I wanted, so I added code to also `touch' a .lastpop file in
the users' home directory.

-- Paul A. Sand | Anything worth doing well
-- University of New Hampshire | is worth doing slowly.
-- pas_at_unh.edu | (Gypsy Rose Lee)

Qualcom popper makes log file by default in
/var/adm/syslog.dated/daily_saves/mail.log

Gyula Szemenyei