SUMMARY: /etc/auth/system/pw_id_map

From: Kevin Houle <kevin_at_netins.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 14:43:31 -0600 (CST)

The /etc/sia/matrix.conf (in the case of C2, /etc/sia/OSFC2_matrix.conf)
provides the matrix that selects the appropriate installed security
mechanism when a security-sensitive command is executed. I'm figuring
calls to the SIA subsystem cause "the system" to check consistancy of
the /etc/auth/system/pw_id_map file. I presume "the system" to be
libsecurity.

Well, in our case, SIA calls are being made faster than the pw_id_map
file can be rebuilt by "the system". A normal event, like a password
change, causes pw_id_map to rebuild. While pw_id_map is being built,
an SIA call comes in, the system checks pw_id_map and finds it isn't
consistant, wipes it and starts a rebuild. Another SIA call comes in
before the file is built, the system wipes the file and starts over.
The result is a pw_id_map that churns, a system which drowns in
backlogged SIA calls, and users who call wondering why POP3 e-mail
is timing out.

In my opinion, this is a denial of service issue with DEC's C2
subsystem. The rebuilding of pw_id_map (and perhaps gr_id_map)
should lock so as to avoid another evaluation/rebuild to stomp
the process and cycle the machine to death.

FYI- This problem is happening on a machine that does 140,000
qpopper2.4 calls to getespwnam() per day.

--
Kevin Houle
netINS, Inc.