inetd / RPC portmapper problems

From: Jonathan Nicholson <jjn_at_sanger.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 15:10:29 +0000 (GMT)

When running a service from inetd & the portmapper when the client is shut
down via an orderly shut down or via a kill -9 the server will restarted,
without a client request. Further clients then can't connect to the
server. Here's an example of the configuration:-

/etc/inetd.conf
---------------
acedb1/1 stream rpc/tcp wait hgace rpc.acedbd rpc.acedbd [arguments]

/etc/rpc
--------
acedb1 100100 acedb1

Apparantly running with the same configuration on a Sun box doesn't have
the same problems.

I don't know enough about RPC to be able to test this really thoroughly,
and I'm taking a lot of the configuration on trust!

Any pointers on RPC config or example programs that I could try out to see
if I can reproduce the problem with different code would be much
appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

= Jonathan Nicholson - System Administrator +44 1223 494987 (internal 4987) =
= The Sanger Centre, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambs, CB10 1SA =
= Email: jjn_at_sanger.ac.uk (Work) jono_at_acme.demon.co.uk (Home) =