SUMMARY: Quantum disks, DU 4.0D

From: Graham Allan <ALLAN_at_mnhep1.hep.umn.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 14:51:03 -0600

Thanks to:
Pat Wilson <paw_at_northstar.dartmouth.edu>
alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com
Barry Treahy <treahy_at_allianceelec.com>
Martin Mokrejs <mmokrejs_at_mail.natur.cuni.cz>

for more input on the subject.

Pat Wilson wondered if the problem might be related to the disk spindown
powersvaing feature. This had indeed given me trouble in the past with
DU4.0B, and I had disabled it. I did check to make sure it was still
disabled after the upgrade.

alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com suggested comparing the old and new ddr.dbase
files to see if the default features for unrecognised devices had
changed (we didn't have any custom entry for the Quantum). I should do
this to satisfy curiosity, but having been bitten twice now by this
drive model think I would rather avoid using it completely.

In fact, I did just look, and tagged queuing is enabled on both 4.0B and
4.0D - so the actual cause must lie elsewhere. Bad block recovery and
command reordering are enabled on 4.0B, and not in 4.0D. I don't see any
other differences.

Barry Treahy had much the same experience with Quantum drives in
general.

Martin Mokrejs informed me I should change the settings in
/etc/ddr.dbase to disable tagged command queuing. Again, I'll be looking
at this out of interest, but having already switched my system to use
some apparently trouble-free Seagate drives, I hopefully don't actually
have to solve the problem this way.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Graham Allan
Physics Department, university of Minnesota

My original message plus responses follow:
-----

This is more of a warning message than a question, perhaps.
I recently did an update of one of my Alphastation 255 systems from
Digital UNIX 4.0B to 4.0D. The disks in this system were Quantum
Fireball TM3200S (both system and user data).

The upgrade went without incident, but ever since then, the machine
would run normally for between 10 and 60 minutes, then hang completely.
Messages about i/o errors (deferring i/o on all available scsi devices)
appeared on the console. Shutdown was impossible, the only recourse was
the halt button.

It seems likely to me that the Quantum disks are to blame (especially
having transferred the system to a couple of Seagate drives, and it now
operating normally). This same model of drive behaved in almost exactly
the same way to me about a year ago, when fitted in a VAXstation 4000/90
(OpenVMS 6.2). That is, it would work just well enough to act as a
write-only medium - long enough to put data on it before hanging the
system!

The final answer is in dejanews somewhere under comp.os.vms, but if I
remember rightly, the Quantum drives don't perform command tag queuing
properly. I assume that the SCSI drivers in Unix 4.0D have been enhanced
to use this feature, with the consequence that the Quantum drives are no
longer safe to use. If, indeed, they ever were. I doubt I will ever use
a Quantum drive in anything fancier than a Mac in future.

Graham