SUMMARY: Disklabel for Fujitsu M2934?

From: Peter Chapin <pchapin_at_twilight.vtc.vsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 10:16:31 -0500 (EST)

Yesterday I asked about the disklabel for a Fujitsu model M2934SAU (4
GByte) disk drive. I was unsure where I could find the information I
needed to create a disktab entry. I have received several responses. In a
nutshell my answer is: the information is on the disk itself! The
following applies to DU v4.0x. I neglected to mention in my earlier post
that I'm using DU v4.0B.

First I need to make the necessary device files. I should be able
to accomplish this with

        ./MAKEDEV rz1

A command such as

        disklabel -r -w /dev/rz1 unknown

will cause disklabel to read disk geometry information from the disk
and then write a default label back to the disk. The '1' in rz1 is
the SCSI ID of the disk. The word "unknown" normally is the disktab
entry name. However, assuming there is no such entry with that name,
disklabel will query the disk as described.

After creating a default label, the partitions can be customized with

        disklabel -e /dev/rz1

Then I can use 'newfs' to build new UFS file systems in the
partitions. (I intend to use the UFS file system).

Many thanks to all who responded. As always, this list is an excellent
resource!

Peter
pchapin_at_twilight.vtc.vsc.edu http://twilight.vtc.vsc.edu/~pchapin/

        "A life? It sounds interesting. Where can I download one?"