SUMMARY: su - doesn't work

From: Tully Holmes <tholmes_at_antelope.wcc.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 13:36:51 -0700

Thanks to those who helped me.

Earlier I posed the situation described below:

>Hi,
>
>I run DECunix 4.0B on an alphaserver 1000A.
>
>Recently, after loading data from a colleague tape to the alpha 1000, I
noticed that I can no longer log on as root with the "su -" command.
Here's the occurance:

>ferret.wcc.edu> su -
>Password:
>set: Variable name must begin with a letter.
># />csh:ioctl error:: Bad file number
>csh:ioctl error:: Bad file number
>csh:ioctl error:: Bad file number
>csh:ioctl error:: Bad file number
>csh:ioctl error:: Bad file number
>csh:ioctl error:: Bad file number
>logout
>ferret.wcc.edu>
>
>I used the correct password as I am able to login as root with the plain
"su" command.

>Thanks for any input.

Generally, those who responded suggested I check the .cshrc, .login, and/or
.profile files. My .login file was the culprit. Last Friday I appended
two unidata pointing entries to my root's .login file according to
colleague instructions:

setenv UDTBIN /usr/ud33/bin
setenv UDTHOME /usr/ud33

Today I commented the entries and now my "su -" function works. I'll see
what happen when I append the entries to root's .cshrc file instead.

thanks

|Tully Holmes, MIS Systems Analyst |
|307.777-6832, FAX 307.777-6567 |
|tholmes_at_antelope.wcc.edu |
|Wyoming Community College Commission |
|2020 Carey Avenue Eighth Floor Room 806|
|Cheyenne, WY 82002 |