SUMMARY: Which POP?

From: Ian Wojtowicz <i_at_woj.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 14:58:33 +0200

Original question:

>Should I use the popd that comes with MH or a different popd? What are the
>implications, considering that by box will be used almost entirely by
>people who don't have shell access (thanks to earier help from you guys)?

General consensus: use either U of W's IMAP server (which comes with a POP3
server) or qpopper from Eudora.

I'm going with qpopper since I am only interested in POP3 at the moment,
and qpopper seems to have a more complete set of functions. (It's also
dead-easy to install).

Thanks to Talltree <aad_at_nwnet.net>, Christopher L. Davis <cld_at_prin.edu> and
Tom Smith <smith_at_semail.mro.dec.com> for their comments.

Ian Wojtowicz

-----
From: Anthony Talltree <aad_at_nwnet.net>

I'd get imapd from UW and encourage the use of IMAP instead. This
distribution also includes a decent popd.
-----
From: "Christopher L. Davis" <cld_at_prin.edu>

I use Qualcomm's popper. Much easier to set up and deal with than the
pop3d that comes with MH. I too, do not give users any shell access. All
my pop3 accounts have no home directory, and /etc/false as a shell. It
works perfectly! I have used this setup for 4 years and have had no
problems (well, I tried to use the bulletin and bulletin database feature
and that never worked, but I didn't have time to debug it -- the bulletin
feature did work when I didn't try to use the database feature).

There is a password changer on the Eudora site, unfortunately it sends
passwords clear text, but there is nothing better currently.

Chris
-----
From: Tom Smith <smith_at_semail.mro.dec.com>

One advantage of the supplied MH POP server is that it does not require
(or use) a UNIX account at all. Disadvantages are that it does not
support "leave mail on server" or remote password changes. It's possible
that newer versions of the MH public domain software support this now,
but I'm not sure.

Qualcomm's qpopper is probably the most popular alternative POP-only
server. The U. of Washington IMAP server, which we use, also includes a
POP server. Both of these require UNIX accounts, I think, unless you
muck with the sources, but do support "leave mail on server" and remote
password changes. However, it's not necessary for the users to actually
be able to log into a shell account. You can disable that by providing a
null login shell (/bin/false is one way, I think, but don't take my word
on that). If you choose one of the servers that requires a UNIX account,
I'd disable logins in that way. If you support IMAP, they will have to
have a home directory for their permanent mail store. For POP, you don't
need that.

-Tom

ian wojtowicz | nation1 http://www.nation1.net
i_at_woj.com ICQ:7652147 | An new country for the info age, run
http://woj.com | by the people who know it best: kids