NFS down & uninterruptible processes

From: lombardi emanuele <lele_at_mantegna.casaccia.enea.it>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 12:58:30 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear colleagues,

What to do when a process involving files on NFS
becomes UNINTERRUPTIBLE becouse the serving NFS machine has
become down ?
I'm using automount .

It happens that the process is not killable (kill -9 by root)
becouse (I presume) it waits for NFS resources that will never come
(the serving NFS machine is down).
The whole machine is very slow now, but I can't umount the
dead NSF because the mount point is busy (the uninterruptible process
lives there) nor I can kill the process.

I only have to shutdown the machine !!
Is there a better way ?
Please tell me wich.

Greetings from Italy