IO Timeout error?

From: Erik Green <longshot_at_internet-connections.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 10:06:15 -0600 (CST)

        Greetings;

        I am having a problem with the Netscape Fasttrack 3.0 server
running under DU 4.0D. Since Netscape has been less than helpful, I'm
hoping someone else has seen this:

[02/Apr/1998:09:05:39] warning: for host 206.34.177.66 trying to GET
/lifestyles .html, send-file reports: error opening buffer from
/home/info/web/eragilsb/life styles.html (IO timeout error)

        A side effect of this error is that quite a number of the
html pages in sites with this problem suddenly become unreadable,
giving a "Permission denied" error.

        The machine I'm running this on is an LX164-based 533Mhz
machine from Aspen Systems, with 128MB of RAM on board. I've just
reached the point of loading this new system where it has started
swapping (previously, everything fit in memory). I had to change swap
to work in deferred mode, because all my swap was getting allocated by
the servers. This machine will be running around 110 hardware virtual
hosts, and one "main" webserver with 200 smaller sites on it. As a
second question, can anyone suggest how much RAM I should use with DU
4.0D in this config? With 3.2C, 128MB was enough, but I'm starting to
worry about it now.

Any ideas on how to stop this would be gratefully accepted.

Erik

--
Erik Green   Chief Engineer, Internet Connections Inc.
erik_at_mnic.net