SUMMARY: ppp server on alpha routing packets from the client

From: Charles C. H. Jui <jui_at_phoebe.physics.utah.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 19:29:18 -0600 (MDT)

the ORIGINAL message:
I am trying to set up our Alpha as a PPP server for connection from a PC
(running win95 or Linux). The Alpha sits on the Internet via our local
office network, and runs Digital Unix 4.0B. I followed the instructions in
the man page "ppp_manual_setup" and I was able to start a ppp connection
on my PC from home and even run netscape to access the httpd server
running on this particular Alpha.

We have statically allocated an address for the PC.
Let's say the Alpha has address a.b.c.d
We statically allocated the address a.b.c.f for the PC.
the gateway for the Alpha is normally a.b.c.1

I would however, like to have the Alpha serve as a router for the PC, so
that the PC can connect to the rest of the world.

In reading "ppp_manual_setup" page I came across the following:

  You can use the gated daemon to manage routing, if you are not using the
  PPP connection solely to communicate between the two systems making the
  connection.

  If you plan to use a system as an IP router, it must be configured to allow
  the forwarding of IP packets. For more information on setting a system up
  as an IP router, see the Network Administration manual and iprsetup(8).

(1) Is running "gated" necessary for my goal stated above?

(2) What else would I need to do? (iprsetup?)

(3) Can anyone send me an example gated.conf configuration file that
I can edit to put in the real addresses?

THE ANSWER:

unless you are trying to connect a network of computers to another,
the server does NOT need to run "gated". All I was trying to do was
connect a single home PC onto our office network via ppp through an alpha as
server.

One the alpha side: all I needed to do was

(1) enable packet forwarding/routing using the command "iprset -s" which
can be enabled automatically at boot time by changing the value "ROUTER"
in /etc/rc.config to "yes" (you can do this by the command: "rcmgr set
ROUTER yes")

(2) add the (pppd) option "proxyarp" into /etc/ppp/options

On the PC side:

(a) under windows 95:
it was necessary to make sure the option "use router on
the remote machine" was ON (in the dial-up networking manual)

(b) under LINUX:
it was necessary to add the "defaultroute" option to /etc/ppp/options
on the LINUX client

Thanks to:

Farrell T. Woods
Thomas Leitner