SUMMARY: sendmail "from" domain

From: Dan Kirkpatrick <dkirk_at_suhep.phy.syr.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:52:45 -0400

Thanks for the replies:
Jerome M Berkman <jerry_at_uclink.berkeley.edu>
Serge MUNHOVEN <munhoven_at_mema.ucl.ac.be>
"John P . Speno" <speno_at_isc.upenn.edu>
"Kevin Oberman" <oberman_at_es.net>
Kamau Wanguhu <kamau_at_crl.dec.com>
Anthony Talltree <aad_at_nwnet.net>
Santosh Krishnan x2815 <santosh_at_heplinux1.uta.edu>

Get sendmail 8.8.8 from http://www.sendmail.org and use the masquerading
feature
("DM domain.edu" in sendmail.cf file... which does NOT for for bundled
sendmail w/ DecUnix)

If not, use /usr/sbin/mailsetup utility (but I tried this and it warned
that in order to do this,
"requires at least one host in your local domain to be configured as a Mail
Hub"
> MAIL HUB/CENTRAL MAIL SERVER
>
>A Mail Hub is a machine that can handle mail sent to `user_at_domain'.
>It has aliases for everyone in your local domain. When it receives
>mail addressed to `user_at_phy.syr.edu', it looks up `user' in the
>alias file and forwards the mail to its final destination.
>
>Note: if you are planning mail for your site, it is recommended
> that you configure at least one host as a Mail Hub and set up
> BIND MX records. The MX records will direct mail sent to
> `_at_phy.syr.edu' to your Mail Hub.

One quick hack is to change your hostname to phy.syr.edu.

The other, depending on your sendmail is to modify your official
hostname entry in sendmail to:
Dj$w.$N
from :
Dj$w

Thanks!
Dan

> How do I change all outgoing email to a different domain!?
> Right now, all email goes out as from user_at_suhep.phy.syr.edu
> How do I change this to user_at_phy.syr.edu???
> I have the following in sendmail.cf:
>
> DDsyr.edu
> DAsuhep.phy
> <snip>
> # my domain
> DNphy.syr.edu
> # name exported on external internet mail
> DWphysics.syr.edu
> # my official hostname
> Dj$w
>
> but mail still goes out as from user_at_suhep.phy.syr.edu
> I know I need to implement the newest sendmail, it's on the list....
>
> (BTW- This is running Dec Unix 4.0B with whatever sendmail comes with it, I
> don't know how to find the version of sendmail)
Dan Kirkpatrick dkirk_at_physics.syr.edu
Systems Administrator
Department of Physics
Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY

http://www.phy.syr.edu Fax: (315) 443-9103