NIS and C2:Master and Slave must be up.

From: Mark Jaunty <Mark_jaunty_at_itd.sterling.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 15:37:22 -0500

Hello,

We have a string of Digital Unix 4.0B systems running NIS and C2. The
developers recently turned the system over to us for integration into an
operational environment. They said both the master and slave NIS servers

must remain up when in a C2 environment. In other words, if the master
fails over to the slave (confirmed by running 'ypwhich') all regular
users,
other than root will not be able to log in. The error message they get
is:
'Cannot rewrite protected password entry for user'. DEC support
confirmed
this with not much of an explanation and made it sound like there were
no plans to work around this. This seems to be defeating the purpose of
having
a NIS master and slave. Or, is this just the 'price' of running enhanced

security? Does anyone have anymore insight into this? I will summarize.

    Thanks,

    Mark Jaunty