Digital Unix and Solaris Passwords

From: Steven Camp <Steven.Camp_at_state.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 18:28:17 -0500 (CDT)

I am running both Digital Unix and Solaris. I would like
to have a single centralized password management method
between all machines.

Do to many reasons, the main passwords are store on Solaris.
I would like to eventually migrate management of them to
Digital Unix for perceived security and performance reasons.
(Also I like DEC better :^).

Side note: Currently there are over 10,000 entries and we
expect to be over 100k by years end.

I have a few questions.

        o Can the password file be shared (NIS, kerberos, etc.)?

        o If it can be shared, can it be done securely?

        o What are the scalability issues?

Thanks,

                               -----
Steven Camp When the Tao is lost, there is goodness
President When goodness is lost, there is morality.
CS&W, Inc. When morality is lost, there is ritual.
d/b/a Minnesota OnLine Ritual is the husk of true faith,
+1.612.225.1110 (phone) the beginning of chaos.
+1.612.225.1424 (fax)

http://www.state.net