LAT setup on OSF

From: Britton Johnson <johnson_at_lindenwood.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 15:17:51 -0500 (CDT)

Greetings all,

        Over the last few days I have been working on getting some
decservers (90TL) to talk to my DU box using bootp and mop without
success. However, after switching to some 90L servers we have and
studying latsetup a little more I have it working at last.

        That being accomplished I would like some advice. I have one
decserver currently (90L 8 ports) that is connected to DU 4.0b. I may be
adding one or more decservers down the road but I am curious about
lat ttys. For instance, latsetup asked for number of ttys, (I said 16
since I have 8 ports now and may be adding another soon).
        However, it also asked for the number I wanted in my inittab.
What are some recommendations? These terminals are just for email in a
computer lab... wouldn't it assign ttys as it needs them or should I tell
it to put all 8 in there? It looks out of whack with the other items in
there to begin with. _OR_ do I even need a tty per terminal or per
terminal server?? I would check the manual, but the only manual I can
find here is for the 90TL's and it doesn't really look into lat itself
that much and I'm not finding the answer to my question about
inittab in the man pages.
        I appreciate any experience or help at all and will summarize.

Thanks,

Britt

    Britton Johnson, Ass't System Admin.
   Lindenwood University, St. Charles, MO