user job using all CPU

From: Ellen Davis <daviser_at_email.uc.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 16:17:23 -0400

Hello,

I have an AlphaServer 1000A running Digital Unix 4.0B. A user is running a
process, paup, which takes up 90% or more of the CPU. This process runs
for days! Is this OK for one process to take up all the CPU? I've tried to
renice the process, but that does not seem to make any difference.

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE TIME CPU COMMAND
25022 debryrw 63 19 2240K 729K run 505:46 96.50% paup

I found this information about paup on the net: PAUP: Phylogenetic Analysis
Using Parsimony has made it the most widely used software package for the
inference of evolutionary trees.

Should I be concerned? Is there something I can set to make sure one user
does not use all the CPU?

 Ellen Davis
 Ellen.Davis_at_uc.edu