SUMMARY: 2GB partition size restriction for PCNFS clients

From: Ian Colquhoun <ian.colquhoun_at_sheridanc.on.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 14:31:12 -0400 (EDT)

Here is my original question:

Hello Managers,

In our environment we have DOS5/Windows 3.11 clients on our network being
served home directories and applications via PCNFS from Digital Unix 4.0D
servers. The problem is that DOS is restricted to a maximum partition size
of 2GB so we have had to create 150+ partitions across multiple servers.
This is far from ideal obviously.

The real problem now is that we are looking at getting a large
StorageWorks RAID system using 9GB drives in a RAID 5 config. If we do
this, we will have to have logical discs of no more than 3 drives, using 7
2GB partitions on each logical disc. This will result in 4GB of wasted
disc space per logical disc. Not good.

My question is: Is there any way to get pcnfsd to report to the clients
that they are using a 2GB partition regardless of the real partition size?

Thanks to all those that responded, many had good suggestions, unfortunately
none that I can implement because of various reasons...

Graham Allan
Oisin McGuinness
Chad Price
Stuart Sarasin
Brenden Phillips
Tom Webster
Mark Zander

Many of you suggested using Samba which can trick clients easily. We
are actually using Samba for our Win95 clients, however, our old DOS 5
system is very dependent on NFS and is just too much to change at this
point.

Other suggestions were to:
- use AdvFS to split up the logical discs into many smaller units
- use the partitioning mechanism on the HSZ controllers themselves to
  more virtual drives to the system on the same logical disc

---
Ian Colquhoun
ian.colquhoun_at_sheridanc.on.ca
System Administrator - Sheridan College