SUMMARY-2 sendmail 8.9 and Enhanced Security

From: Paul N. Youngblood <youngbp_at_email.uah.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 10:42:50 -0500 (CDT)

Hello System Administrators,

Thanks to the Digital UNIX support team for the following
information, and for their GREAT WORK! Please see my
original query after this info, followed finally by my
first SUMMARY.

Digital support tells me that at this time it is not known
what future release of Digital UNIX will ship with sendmail
version 8.9. (Note that v8.9 sendmail is still in beta.)

Probably DU 5.0 will ship with sendmail v8.7. Currently
Digital supports sendmail 8.8 in a limited way. That is,
there is no "escalation path" for "true bugs", but the
Digital UNIX support team will address version 8 problems
as best they can. Soon they will do the same for v8.9.

DEC does recommends sendmail 8.8 for customers with "SPAM"
problems. Also, if the DU support team is able to fix true
bugs, they will do so, and they will pass that info on to
the sendmail support folks at sendmail.org.

Paul Youngblood

-------- original query -------- original query ----------------
On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Paul N. Youngblood wrote:

> Hello system admins,
>
> Is anyone running sendmail v8.9 on DU v4.0x WITH Enhanced
> Security ? If so, did you get the 8.9 distribution from
> Digital's ftp site?
>
> The reason I ask is that I read somewhere that Digital made minor
> changes to sendmail to make it more compatible with C2 security.
> I would like to run v8.9 if I hear positive reactions from any of
> you that run it with C2.
>
> Currently, I've got sendmail 8.8.8 running on DU 4.0B with C2.
> (I got my 8.8.8 from Digital's ftp site but now I can't remember
> exactly where in the directory structure it was located.)
> Thank you for taking the time if you can respond. I'll summarize.
-------- first SUMMARY -------- first SUMMARY --------------------

Hello managers,

I got zero responses to my questions on this. I'll contact
my trusty Digital support folks to see if they can give me
some predictions about when DEC may give the OK to sendmail
v 8.9 -- I guess it hasn't gotten out of beta testing yet,
anyway. So it may be a while for DEC to ok it.

Paul Youngblood