SUMMARY: NIS automount not working

From: Dan Kirkpatrick <dkirk_at_suhep.phy.syr.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 08:44:26 -0400

I love this group! Such quick solutions when I stumped a DEC support tech
for 3 days!

Thanks to:
bchill_at_bch.net (Brian C Hill)
"Knut Hellebų" <Knut.Hellebo_at_nho.hydro.com>
Volker Hejny <Volker.Hejny_at_exp2.physik.uni-giessen.de>

Solution:
my NIS auto.master specified "/etc/auto.master" when it should be
"auto.master"

and to be able to have local automounts also...
automount must be invoked with the -f /etc/auto.master for local overrides
OR add +auto.master to the local /etc/auto.master file.

Thanks for the quick solutions!
Dan

>I'm trying to add automounting through NIS and it's not working...
>
>Here's the rundown again on automount not working via NIS
>
>NIS is setup and working for logins.
>
>/etc/exports on server:
>/apps -root=0 <list of machines>
>
>(note, it's exported fine since I can mount it manually on clients)
>(also, local automounts work fine on the clients)
>
>NIS auto.master:
>/- /etc/auto.direct -soft (ypcat -k auto.master yields the same)
>
>NIS auto.direct:
>/apps -soft,rw host:/apps (ypcat -k auto.direct yields the same)
>
>local auto.master:
>/- /etc/auto.direct -soft
>
>local auto.direct:
>/home -soft,rw host:/home
>(lots of other similar entires, but /apps is NOT in the local auto.direct)
>
>I checked and the client is running automount via: /usr/sbin/automount -M
>/A -v -T (the NIS server is running with same if that matters)
>We WERE running it using the -m flag (ignore NIS maps).... I turned that OFF!
>
>doing a cd /home (local auto.direct) I get
>READLINK call(fh=[5489, 893861332, 33](/home))
>READLINK return(stat=OK, data=/A/home)
>
>doing a cd /apps (NIS auto.direct) I get no messages
>It's acting as if it doesn't know to check NIS maps, and doesn't even look.
>Is there something to add to auto.* or /etc/svc.conf (similar to passwd,
>hosts, etc...) to flag the system to say.. hey... look at NIS after
>checking locally.
>
>When I try to cd to /apps on a client, it says "/apps: No such file or
>directory"
>
>when doing a /var/yp/make....
>>updated auto.direct
>>Map 'ypslaves.suhep.phy.syr.edu' is empty for domain 'phy.syr.edu'
>>
>>pushed auto.direct
>>updated auto.master
>>Map 'ypslaves.suhep.phy.syr.edu' is empty for domain 'phy.syr.edu'
>>
>>pushed auto.master
>
>I tried stopping automount, removing /A (temp mount), and restarting
>automount. It remounted all of the local automounts but nothing from the
>NIS automounts.
>
>It is odd... I can mount it manually... local automount works.... and the
>client can see the NIS maps... and I *DID* shutoff the -m parameter (to
>ignore NIS) in executing automount.
>
>Any clues? I *thought* I covered everything, but I *must* be missing
>something.
>(PS, all are running Digital Unix 4.0B)
>
>Thanks!
>Dan

>Dan Kirkpatrick dkirk_at_physics.syr.edu
>Systems Administrator
>Department of Physics
>Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
>
>http://www.phy.syr.edu Fax: (315) 443-9103

Dan Kirkpatrick dkirk_at_physics.syr.edu
Systems Manager