My hardware failure rate seems high.

From: Tom Fenn <tom_at_spirit.gcrc.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 15:52:21 -0400

Hello all:

I'm trying to get a feeling for how often I should expect to run into
hardware problems. We have 5 Alphastation 255's, each with a CD-ROM drive
and an external scsi tape drive. In the eight months I've worked here, I
have replaced a SIMM, a CD-ROM drive, and a tape drive. Happily, all under
warranty, as all of the machines are under two years old. This seems a
little excessive to me, and if it continues the cost of maintaining these
workstations will become a serious issue.

Does anyone out there have a feel for whether the failure rate I'm seeing is
typical? Is it going to get worse?

Tom Fenn (tom_at_spirit.gcrc.upenn.edu)
Center for Cancer Pharmacology
University of Pennsylvania Medical School