SOLVED> TCPDUMP does not see all network traffic in promiscuous mode

From: Neil Movold <nmlist_at_ibl.bm>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 07:16:44 -0400 (GMT-0400)

Well,
        I finally solved this obscure, should have been simple, problem.
As most of you correctly questioned, I am using an Ethernet Switch and
that was where the problem lay. Not the obvious unfortunately. I always
knew that I was on a switch. I installed it and have on many occassions
used its features to span all traffic from one interface to another from
our main router to a workstation that I gather statistics on. The problem
here was not the obvious of wrong cable or not spanning the traffic. It
was a software release level problem that had a bug in it. I have since
upgraded and now everthing is working great.

        I want to thank everyone who responded to my problem, especially
those who took the risk and responded with what they thought were obvious
answers and appologized if they could have been interpreted as insulting.
Sometimes a second opinion can find things that were right there in front
of your face, even for experienced professionals. This world is
definitely a much better place with these people and their willingness to
help others.

                Thanks and have a great day,

                                        Neil

Neil Movold Phone: (441) 296-9628
Director of Technology Fax: (441) 295-1149
Logic Communications Ltd E-Mail: neil_at_logic.bm
P.O. Box HM 2445 WWW: http://www.logic.bm
Hamilton, Bermuda, HM JX WWW: http://www.bermuda.bm