SUMMARY: DU4.0D on 164LX install freezes

From: Jose A. Guzman <jose_at_kafka.sc.iteso.mx>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 17:54:31 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks to Thomas Leitner, Dave Bowler, Paul Mercure, Dr. Tom Blinn and
David Monroe for their suggestions.

> Hi.
>
> I'm trying to install 4.0D on a 164LX with firmware version 4.9-51
> and it hangs when jumping to bootstrap code. If I update to firmware
> 5.1-4, it just freezes on the blue screen of the SRM console, showing no
> prompt at all.
>
> I've set the following variables (as the installation guide says):
> boot_osflags ""
> auto_action halt
> boot_file
>
> The machine has an intraserver NCR875 scsi adapter with a seagate
> ST15230N and a Teac CDROM CD-516S attached, both narrow.
>

> What am I doing wrong?? :I
>

> (the box was using NT 4 with no problems).

 The problem turned out to be the console variable on the SRM console
-duh-, it was set to serial (as was pointed out by Paul Mercure and David
Monroe, although everything on the console seemed to work ok, I assume it
was sending output to the serial port after the "jumping to bootstrap
code" message), when I set it to graphics it booted and happly installed
right away. :)

   Thanks to all of you who answered so quickly.

   Jose A. Guzman