From: Duncan Webbe <dwebbe_at_davidjones.com.au>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 11:52:39 +1000 (EST)

Thankyou Dr. Allan Rollow, Paul Thompson, Thomas Leitner and Craig
Farrington for their responses.

Normally if you lost your utmp file the resolution would be
touch /var/adm/utmp
chown root:system /var/adm/utmp
chmod 755 /var/adm/utmp then a reboot.

The reason our system wouldn't come up properly, however, was because a
var backup had been restored onto our system while /var was not mounted.
When the system was coming up, it relied on information from these old
files rather than from the proper /var filesystem causing the system to
not know what run-level it was in. It seems the boot process will use
information from a non file-system /var directory prior to mounting the
/var filesystem if it exists.