ppp dial-in thoughts

From: Matt White <whitem_at_bofh.usask.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 21:49:05 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> The question of PPP dial-up access from Win-95 to DU, AIX, Linux,
> AmigaDOS :-) comes up often.

Sorry for sending this to the list, but Richard is right - this does seem
to be pretty popular.

Currently, I'm using mgetty (a replacement getty with many additional
features like fax and callback support) to serve my dialup needs. One of
the nice features of mgetty is that it can be configured to automatically
recognize a PPP handshake and start pppd instead of providing a login
prompt - that way you can do either a plain login or ppp (or fax, for that
matter) on the same line.

I know that a lot of people don't want to go quite that far, but some of
the users of this package have done some pretty decent documentation on
configuring pppd to be used automatically with Win95 dialup networking
(using PAP authentication), and most of that documentation is independant
of using mgetty.

Anyways, some pointers for information:

mgetty: http://alpha.greenie.net/mgetty

Setting up PPPD for win95 dialup:
  http://members.bellatlantic.net/~mrdennis/mgetty.html

As an aside, I'm currently doing all my dialup through a Linux box, since
it's by the phone line. At one time, I had compiled mgetty on DU (4.0a at
the time) and was using it. If there is interest in mgetty, I can dig out
the patches that I made to get it to work and make them available - drop
me a line if you're interested.

- Matt White whitem_at_arts.usask.ca -
- Network Technical Support http://arts.usask.ca/~whitem -
- College of Arts & Science University of Saskatchewan -