[Q] Kernel correcting devicentry/Linux remote boot

From: Norbert Kasperczyk-Borgmann <nkb_at_informatik.fh-hamburg.de>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 16:52:06 +0200 (MET DST)

Norbert Kasperczyk-Borgmann
Fachhochschule Hamburg - University of Applied Sciences
Fachbereich E/I, Softwarelabor
Berliner Tor 3, D-20099 Hamburg, Germany

phone: +49-40-2488 3167
fax: +49-40-2488 3121
email: nkb_at_informatik.fh-hamburg.de

Dear Managers,

I have problems with the kernels view to character-/blockdevices.
The background is that i want to boot some linux PC`s remote.
I copied the root of one linux PC to an DUNIX System (filesystem /linux/dlc).

- The list from a device I need at the DUNIX Box is e.g.:
  crw-r--r-- 1 root bin 0,1344 Apr 29 10:33 cua0

- The list from the same device at a linux Box
  ('/linux/dlc' mounted as nfs) is:
  crw-r--r-- 1 root bin 5, 64 Apr 28 14:58 cua0

So there are two different interpretations of deviceentries depending
of the operating System.

So far there is no problem, but unfortenaly the DUNIX kernel
changes after some minutes or hours or just after an unmount/mount of
the filesystem the deviceentry. Now the list of the same entry toogles.

- The list at the DUNIX Box now is changed to:
  crw-r--r-- 1 root bin 5, 64 Apr 28 14:58 cua0

- The list from the same device at a linux Box
  ('/linux/dlc' mounted as nfs) is:
  crw-r--r-- 1 root bin 0,1344 Apr 29 10:33 cua0

With this device the linux kernel can't work.

What I know so far is that the change isn't made from
'/sbin/kloadsrv' because i killed it and the change was done too.

I checked the '/etc/inittab' and crontab from root , but didn't find
a daemon which could be the bad boy.

Do you know a way to tell the DUNIX kernel it shouldn't worry about
some or all deviceentries?

I know that i loos the possibility to attach new hardware like a disk
to a running system when there is now check, but that's ok for me.

I hope someone out solve such a problem, and I'll summarize.

your's sincerely

Norbert