Tape backup software

From: Spalding, Stephen <SSpaldin_at_mem-ins.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 08:44:32 -0500

Hello managers!

We currently use Polycenter's Networker Save and Restore (NSR) version
3.2A as our tape backup software, and we've been using it for about the
last two years. The reason why we have avoided upgrading to a later
version is because of the additional jukebox license that we would have
to buy for the "sequential access loaders" on our two tape drives (TLZ6L
and TZ885) so that the tape could be advanced if EOT was reached during
the backup.

I have put in a call to our vendors this morning to see what this
license is going to cost us for our Alpha server 2100 and 4100 as we are
considering upgrading to NSR version 4.4, but I think that it's kind of
ridiculous to have to pay for this functionality that I feel should be
included with the backup software package.

What kind of problems has anyone had going from NSR version 3.2A to 4.4?
Is there a better tape backup software out there that we should be using
instead of NSR? Does anyone else find it annoying to have to pay extra
for the jukebox license for the newer version of NSR for tape drives
with magazine loaders or am I just being a tightwad?

Thanks!

Stephen Spalding
Associate System Administrator
Missouri Employers Mutual Insurance