vrestore problem

From: George Chalissery <george_at_alpha.ces.cwru.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 12:05:43 -0400

I am running Digital UNIX Version 4.0B with all relevant patches from the
unified patch kit duv40bas00005-19970926 applied. I have discovered that
the vrestore ADVFS utility fails to open the tape device when attempting to
open the second tape of a multi-tape vdump (spanning two or more tapes), if
the tape is write protected. The problem can be resolved by removing the
write protect from the tape and running the vrestore. Has anyone else
encountered this problem and is there a fix for it? The machine is an
AlphaStation 200 4/100 and the tape device is a Quantum DLT 7000 using
CompacTape IV (35/70GB) media. The files being dumped/restored are from an
UFS partition. I suspect that the problem lies in an incorrect open() call
when vrestore has to span tapes - read/write as opposed to read only.

Thanks,

George Chalissery
george_at_alpha.ces.cwru.edu