SUMMARY: Shutdown and Reboot

From: Bianca Passarelli <bianca_at_forum.swarthmore.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 17:03:01 -0400

I sent out a message asking for instructions on how to shutdown, install
RAM and reboot.

to shutdown:
1. become root

2. make sure no users are logged on

3. type "shutdown -h <time>"
        where time can be an absolute time (i.e. 10:15)
        a relative time (i.e. +5 for in five minutes)
        or "now"

4. wait for the ">>>" console prompt and turn off the power or

5. type "set auto_action halt" to make sure the system will NOT boot when
the power is turned on, so you can test the memory installation

to install RAM
1. wear a grounding wrist strap

2. make sure that the highes density memory is at the lowest numbered
slots

3. make sure that the chips are correctly inserted in the slots.

to test the memory
1. type "show memory"
        or "test mem"
if everything is happy, type "set auto_action boot" and proceed...

... to boot
1. type "boot"

2. if you end up in single-user mode, type "init 3"

to double check whether your memory is working well, type "uref -R |
more" and make sure the information about the memory is what you
predicted it would be.

thank you so much for all of those who responded my message, i
tremendously appreciate your help.

sincerely,
bianca
p.s. please let me know if i am missing some crucial piece of information
in this summary