IMAP 4.1 compile error/subsets question

From: Britton Johnson <johnson_at_lindenwood.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 10:09:37 -0500 (CDT)

Greetings gurus.

        I was attempting to compile UW's IMAP 4.1.beta on OSF 4.0b on an
AlphaServer 1000 when I ran into this...

rm -rf c-client.a || true
ar rc c-client.a mail.o misc.o newsrc.o smanager.o osdep.o utf8.o
siglocal.o dummy.o pseudo.o netmsg.o flstring.o fdstring.o rfc822.o
nntp.o smtp.o imap4r1.o pop3.o unix.o mbox.o mbx.o mmdf.o tenex.o mtx.o
news.o phile.o mh.o mx.o
ranlib c-client.a
ranlib: No such file or directory
*** Exit 1
Stop.

I looked around some archives that lead me to believe ranlib should reside
in the /usr/ccs/bin area but alas it is not so (or anywhere else). Is
ranlib part of OSFPGMRxxx? For some reason this system does not have that
subset and it's bitten me for it before and for some reason the dist-CD
disappeared before I was hired. Are there any known work-arounds barring
that? This may be moot considering I am doing the 4.0d upgrade in about a
week when we get the new medium, but I was just wondering.

TIA,

Britt

- Britton Johnson, Ass't System Admin. Lindenwood University, St. Charles, MO -
         Disclaimer: Any typos, grammatical errors, and/or lapses of
      intelligence are purely intentional. Don't try this at home. ;-)