From: <K.McManus_at_greenwich.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 17:30:52 +0100 (BST)

Thanks to all who have responded so far...

Jef HamLin
Don
Amy E. Skowronek
Ken Schumacher
Dr Marco Luchini

Paraphrasing is never a good idea so apologies for any misrepresentation
but this is not an easy one to answer, looks like it could be a case
for Dr Blinn but here goes..

Jef Suggests "S19nfs stop" and "S19nfs start" but I think that this
script just sends a kill, correct me if I'm wrong here.

Don seems to agree with Jef and me.

Amy reckons that nfsd is not killable while the machine is still nfs
mounting filesystems - this has a definate logic to it.

Ken suggests that processes hung in the kernel are not receiving
iterrupts and so are unkillable, which would explain other unkillables
that I've met.

Marco suggests bringing down all networking to get the kills in the right
order - this makes a lot of sense to me and may get around the problem
Amy identified.

So if anyone can share any further wisdom you know where to send it...
Next time I meet this problem I'll at least have a few more angles to
explore.

Thanks again all

k.mcmanus_at_gre.ac.uk - http://www.gre.ac.uk/~k.mcmanus
Dr Kevin McManus ||
School of Computing & Math Science ||
The University of Greenwich ||
Wellington St. Woolwich ||Tel +44 (0)181 331 8719
London SE18 6PF UK ||Fax +44 (0)181 331 8665