modifying / filesystem dimension

From: lombardi emanuele <lele_at_mantegna.casaccia.enea.it>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 13:45:27 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear alphists,

I manage several Dunix 4.0d machines and all of them have the
old sized / filesystems. I mean all of them are in the a partition
of disks and their size is 65536 Kb. Even the one built on RAID hardware
(kzpsc-ab) is so small.
Now instead of upgrading a 4000/300 to 4.0d I installed the system from
scratch and I noticed that the partitions layout has been changed:
131072 Kb is for / which is much better since all the other /
filesystems are 99% full .
Now my questions are:

1) Can I enlarge the a partition taking a piece of the b one without
   destroying data in all the other partitions?

2) do you think I can enlarge the a partition (booted /) reducing
   the b partition while the system is running and swapping on the
   b partition of the same disk?

In the very probable case in wich the answer to my second question is NO
(while the first answer is YES) for the systems for which I made
a double bootable disk configuration I plan to boot from the second
disk and apply disklabel to the first (normal boot) disk. Of course
I'll not use as swap the b partition of the first disk !

Do you think my plan will be succesfull ?

Thank you very much for any help and suggestion,
Emanuele

 Emanuele Lombardi
 mail: AMB-GEM-CLIM ENEA Casaccia
        I-00060 S.M. di Galeria (RM)
        ITALY
 mailto:lele_at_mantegna.casaccia.enea.it
 tel +39 6 30483366
 fax +39 6 30483591