block size in ADVFS

From: <DINMAN_at_aladdin-asi.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 12:42:23 -0500

Hi to everybody

Thanks for the help on previous questions.

Summaries for previous submissions and this one will be posted on June8-9
after completion of the upgrades this weekend.

After many delays we are doing massive upgrades to our 4100 box running
DU4.0b.

We are going ADVFS for two reasons
1) online backups
2) ability to set block sizes

Our database engine PROGRESS 8.2b will let us set block sizes for the
databases. My understanding is that there are mind boggling performance
increases on disk I/O when the filesystem and database have matched block
sizes.

1) Has anybody out there tried this was PROGRESS or some other database AND
is this true about the performance increases?
2) Is there an optimal block size for this.

Thanks

Dale Inman
Unix Systems Admin
Aladdin Industries