SUMMARY: radius server

From: <douglas_at_dekalb.dc.peachnet.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:13:46 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

Below (each seperated by ---) are the replies I got. Hope this helps
and thank (many thanks) to those who replied!!!!

Cheers,
Douglas

--------------------------------
Bruce Taube <Bruce.Taube_at_InfoAve.Net>

DEC has a radius server that runs on Unix, VMS, or NT. It's called DRAS
and is very cheap for a DEC product.

--------------------------------
Santosh Krishnan x2815 <santosh_at_heplinux1.uta.edu>

1. NT can use the NIS domain info to authenticate users. This is an
add on feature to NT, so by default it's not there. However, it will
solve your problem.

2. You could put samba on the alpha. This will allow the NT box to
authenticate users on the alphas. Check out samba.anu.edu.au. I use
samba for a similar purpose and it works wonderfully.

(NOTE from Douglas: this is actually the reverse of what we wanted, we
wanted authentication against the unix machine. But this might be usefull
to some people.)
--------------------------------
bchill_at_bch.net (Brian C Hill)

        I like the merit stuff the best (when I used it,
which was a while ago - but someone who I recommended it
to recently says they like it, too). Merit probably still
has 2 versions - a freeware one and payware one. Livingston
is the original and its readius may be further along then
it was then. Ascend also has one. Here are some URL's. Sorry
I don't have time to extract the html...

merit radius <A HREF=ftp://ftp.merit.edu/radius/releases/radius.2.4.21.tar.Z>
<BR>
                ftp://ftp.merit.edu/radius/releases/radius.2.4.21.tar.Z</A><BR>
Livingston radius<BR>
                <A HREF=ftp://ftp.livingston.com/pub/livingston/radius/radius-1.
16.tar><BR>
                ftp://ftp.livingston.com/pub/livingston/radius/radius-1.16.tar</
A><BR>
                <A HREF=http://www.livingston.com/Tech/Appnotes><BR>
                http://www.livingston.com/Tech/Appnotes</A><BR>
                <A HREF=http://www.livingston.com/Forms/radiusform.html><BR>
                http://www.livingston.com/Forms/radiusform.html</A><BR>
Ascend radius<BR>
ESVA radius<BR>
Steel-belted radius<BR>
                <A HREF=http://www.funk.com/sbrntbet.html><BR>
                http://www.funk.com/sbrntbet.html</A><BR>

--------------------------------
"Mark M. Van Overbeke" <markvo_at_CAA.MRS.UMN.EDU>

I'm using the Merit radius server:

http://home.merit.edu/radius

It has been working pretty well so far.

  Mark

--------------------------------
Tom Webster <webster_at_ssdpdc.lgb.cal.boeing.com>

As long as the NT box can communicate with a normal raduis server, then you
have a wide choice.

1. The older Livingston code is in the public domain if I recall correctly.
   The newer radius server from them requires that you are using one of
   the Livingston portmappers.

2. Merrit has a freeware radius server that should compile on DU.

3. You can use DEC's DRAS (Dial-up Remote Access Security) product, which
   we use with our DECservers. The software supports passwords embeded
   in the radius database, passwords on the local host, and one-time
   (skey/opie) passwords. The database part will run on DU, VMS, and
   NT. Strangely, the accounts must be managed from a Windows 95/NT
   box. If you run the server on the NT box, it will be able to
   authenticate passwords agains the NT domain.

4. There are also a number of NT specific radius servers.

--------------------------------
"Randall R. Cable" <rcable_at_realmed.com>

Douglas,
Check out

>http://www.merit.edu/

They maintain the freeware RADIUS server software, I think the name has
changed to AAA.
Good Luck!
peace!
rrc