SUMMARY: Process ownership

From: Bill Antoniadis <sysadmin_at_horseracinginfo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:43:23 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,
        Many thanks to Michael Matthews, Mark Scarborough, C.Ruhnke, Ian
Goodacre, Bob Sloan, and David B. Ritch for their response to my process
ownership problem. The way to change ownership of a process is to use
the su command in the following manner: su username -c command

        The original question follows:
> Hi,
> Does anyone know how I may be able to get a process to startup at
> boot time and then have the owner of the process be another user? Basically,
> have 2 accounts that have processes which routinely ftp stuff using
> an ever changing .netrc file. I want to get those processes to start
> automatically at boot time but still use the .netrc files that are in the
> user account's home directories. I may be thinking wrong here, but I figured
> that if I can start those process at boot and change their ownership to
> those two accounts, then maybe they will use their respective .netrc files.
> Any thoughts?

        Thanks again,
        Bill Antoniadis