[Summary] DEC 3000/300 serial console setting

From: Arrigo Triulzi <arrigo_at_albourne.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 13:58:07 +0100 (BST)

Apparently the 3000/300 is an excellent choice for making your life
hard asking for a serial console.

You need to open the box and change a jumper as detailed in the
message below by Stuart Davidson <stuart.davidson_at_eurocontrol.be>:

|you need to change a jumper inside, layout as follows:
|
| p cpu
| w pins pins memory_simms
| ^^^^
|you need to change the jumper on the above pins from 1&2 (graphics
|console) to 2&3 (alternate console)

Tom Blinn <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com> said the same (without the pretty diagram)
and also told me where to look for the X stuff to remove:

|If you remove the X hardware (hard to do when the graphics chip is
|soldered to the motherboard), then the system will install without "X"
|mandatory. If you want to figure out what's optional, look at the
|scripts (.scp files) for the X and CDE subsets in /usr/.smdb. on your
|installed system, or in the ALPHA/BASE/instctrl directory in the kit.
|They do checks to figure out if you have graphics hardware; if the
|tests don't pass, the X stuff doesn't get loaded. Anything that's
|doing such tests could, in theory, be removed from the system. But
|since the hardware's physically present, you'll still going to have
|problems with things like kernel builds wanting to include drivers for
|the graphics. Have fun!

I guess I will go for the easy solution (which I use normally to stop
X starting up):

mv /sbin/rc2.d/S95xlogin /sbin/rc2.d/noS95xlogin
mv /sbin/rc2.d/S90ws /sbin/rc2.d/nS90ws

(used to be just S90xdm in 3.2[cg]).

Thanks also to: