SUMMARY: Changing login text

From: Harry Hahn <h3_at_ucla.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 12:29:18 -0700

Thanks, in no particular order to

Bianca Passarelli
Gyula Szokoly
Don Newcomer
Donn Aiken
Tom Blinn
Graham Allan
George Guethlein

for their responses.

I described my problem rather poorly but Graham Allan still provided the
answer I was looking for (and am kicking myself for not having tried
myself): DU will print the contents of /etc/issue.net if it exists, which
is precisely what I wanted.

As others pointed out, /etc/gettydefs controls the line described in my
original post, but I'm content to leave that and just tack on my message.
And of course /etc/motd is printed out after the login.

Thanks again everybody,
Harry

--- original mesage ---

I'm not sure what the technical term for it is but I want to change the
text that appears above the login prompt when someone logs into our host.
Currently, it looks like this:

Digital UNIX (host.name.blah.blah) (ttyp4)

login:

I'd like to put a message into that first line, a la /etc/issue under
Linux. I've searched all over /etc but couldn't find where this text was
being generated. Any clues for me?

Alpha 3000/600, DU4.0B.

--
Harry Hahn - h3_at_ucla.edu
Research and Instruction Biocomputer Services - UCLA