From: <maurerf_at_post.ch>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 08:28:49 +0200

Thanks a lot for the fast answers to my questions to:

Arrigo Triulzi
Steve VanDevender
Anthony Talltree

> What is the impact on DU when installing GNU tools, especially
>
> 1. Are the utilities (textutils) installed separatly to DU binaries?

Yes, you can choose where they go by using ./configure
--prefix=/somewhere, the default is /usr/local

> 2. Is it possible to install only targeted tools?

Yes, you run make and then make install <package>

> 3. Could a clean de-installation be considered?

By default all GNU software installs under /usr/local (binaries
in /usr/local/bin, data files in /usr/local/share or
/usr/local/lib, etc.).
So it is possible to de-install by deleting the targeted files

> 4. Is there any conflicts or impacts on DU?

Files are installed separatly, so it should not produce any conflict. Even
some tools are working better than the DU Version (M4,...)

> 5. Is a C (GNU) compiler required?

Not necessarily but for some programs like emacs you do. If you have
to get gcc make sure that you grab the latest version

Felix Maurer
Die Schweizerische Post Tel: +41-31-338 98 49
Informatik POST Fax: +41-31-338 98 80
Messaging Management
Webergutstrasse 12 Mailto:maurerf_at_post.ch
CH-3030 Bern http://www.post.ch