Memory type for DEC 3000/300?

From: Arno Hahma <arno_at_nitro.pp.utu.fi>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 11:45:18 +0300 (EET DST)

Does anyone know the type of SIMMs to add on a DEC 3000/300
workstation? Do any third party SIMMs work or is there something
special in the chips/SIMMs?

The manuals say you can add either 8 MB or 32 MB modules.
Well, I tried with 32 MB modules and they worked, kind of... The
problem was just the firmware found only 8 MB from 32 MB SIMMs, i.e.
one fourth of their capacity!

Do the SIMMs have to be of a certain access time or something? I tried
with 60 ns, 72-pin, true parity DRAMs; the original SIMMs are otherwise
the same, but access time is 70 ns. Does that make a difference - I
have always thought you can use faster memory without problems.

ArNO
    2