Followup: Re: Comsat processes

From: Steve Timm <timm_at_strange.phy.albany.edu>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 14:19:01 -0400 (EDT)

This came from Peter Stern

> I think that I have answered this before so I won't go into detail.
> If you turn off biff in a user's login shell, these comsat processes
> will not be created.
>
> Second, even if 'biff y. is set, the comsat process stops after sending
> notification to the user's terminals, so it doesn't accumulate and cause
> any problems. It only remains if the connection to the terminal was
> lost but it is still owned by the user with its executable bit set
> To stop these notifications from coming to these 'defunct' terminal
> sessions, you need, for example, to chmod -x /dev/ttys7 etc.
>
> I have scripts to check for these processes, to kill them and to chmod.
> I have found no other way to solve this problem.
>
> Regards,
> Peter

I had had biff n set for quite some time, but doing the chmod -x
on all /dev/tty?? devices owned by me did stop the problem.

What I don't understand is what is it about DU4.0c that makes
this problem happen on every dtterm? (including those
that still are open and have connections?) Before the upgrade we had
no problems. Does anyone have a patch?

Steve Timm