CDE not working

From: Oyanarte Portilho <portilho_at_fis.unb.br>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 16:59:07 -0300

Hi Gurus,

We have changed our subnet mask and default gateway and since then
(coincidently or not) one of our Alpha boxes (DEC 3000-300, DU 4.0b,
C2) is not allowing console logins by CDE. Only dxsession works
without any problem. The message on the console says:

"The DT message system could not be started. To correct the problem
check to see that your hostname exists correctly in the /etc/hosts
if your network has already been configured".

Well, the hostname is correctly spelled in /etc/hosts and the network
is up. Strangely enough above message appears only to plain users;
CDE works OK for root logins. Other Alpha boxes have DU 3.2 and
no CDE so that I cannot compare another machine behaviour.

Any pointers are welcome.

TIA,

        Oyanarte Portilho
        Institute of Physics