After the upgrade

From: Paul Crittenden <crittend_at_storm.simpson.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:30:55 -0500

I upgraded from DU 3.2g to 4.0d over the weekend. An individual several
years ago found a utility which allowed us to generate random passwords
and change them on user accounts. After the upgrade this no longer works.

The program is mkpasswd and is somehow tied into a product called expect
and another called tcl. I went out and got the latest versions of each,
compiled and installed them and still noluck.

When I invoke the program passwd, which is a script, which we have renamed
mkpw to eliminate confusion, we get an error message. If we use it with a
username we get the error "can't get domain". If we use it without a user-
name it will give us a random password as it is supposed to.

When used with a username it is supposed to generate the password and then
change it in the password file. Could this have something to do with the
hashing issue which I have read about? I see that when I go to use vipw
I now get a warning about things could take a long time to rebuild.

Paul Crittenden
Computer System Manager
Simpson College
e-mail: crittend_at_simpson.edu

Classified Ad:
Man wanted to work in dynamite factory. Must be willing to travel.