creating filesystems on new (second) hard disk.

From: chas <panda_at_peace.com.my>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 16:35:50 +0800 (SGT)

This morning I added an extra HD and a tape drive
to my DEC 200, running DU 4.0 b.
I was very happy to see that the peripherals were
automatically detected. Startup messages were :

duck vmunix: rz0 at scsi0 target 0 lun 0 (LID=0) (QUANTUM FIREBA
LL_TM2110S 300N)
duck vmunix: tz4 at scsi0 target 4 lun 0 (LID=1) (WangDAT Model
3400DX 125F)
Jul 15 23:39:02 duck vmunix: rz6 at scsi0 target 6 lun 0 (LID=2)
(SEAGATE ST32151N 0328)

I then did the following to create the filesystem on the disk :

1) created the special device files for the disk :
   # cd /dev
   # ./MAKEDEV rz6
   MAKEDEV: special file(s) for rz6:

2) placed a label on the disk :
   # disklabel -w -r rz6 SWXCR
   # disklabel -e rz6
  (I guess this uses the SCSI controller to automatically work out
  the disktab data for the seagate HD.)

3) created a new file system :
   # newfs /dev/rrz6c

4) mount the file system :
   # mkdir /disk2
   # /sbin/mount /dev/rz6c /disk2

   Now, this works as df shows :
   # df -k
   Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on
   /dev/rz0a 63335 35593 21408 63% /
   /proc 0 0 0 100% /proc
   /dev/rz0g 901949 761687 50067 94% /usr
   /dev/rz6c 2030059 1 1827052 1% /disk2

5) Add the File system to /etc/fstab :
   /dev/rz0a / ufs rw 1 1
   /proc /proc procfs rw 0 0
   /dev/rz0g /usr ufs rw 1 2
   /dev/rz0b swap1 ufs sw 0 2
   /dev/rz6c /disk2 ufs rw 1 3

So, it appears to work OK but I'm surprised at how little trouble
this was ... which makes me suspect I've screwed up somewhere.

Also :
I think I should have added more swap space instead of assigning
the whole disk to data. So, I think I could recreate the filesystems
on this new HD by doing :
   # newfs /dev/rrz6a
   # newfs /dev/rrz6b
   # newfs /dev/rrz6g

And in /etc/fstab :
   /dev/rz6a /disk2b
   /dev/rz6b swap2
   /dev/rz6g /disk2a

But I really would like to have one large file system on this
second disk as opposed to splitting the usable section between
/dev/rz6a and /dev/rz6c. Is it possible to just split this new
disk into one small 300 MB swap partition and assign the rest
to one partition ?

Sorry - I'm making this more complicated than it really is perhaps.

Thank you,

chas