SUMMARY: Printing from DU 4.0D to Solaris 2.6

From: Dan West <dwest_at_adagis.ada.epa.gov>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 09:13:10 -0500

Original Question:

>I just upgraded my Sun box to Solaris 2.6 and now remote printing
>from my Alpha 2100A running DU 4.0D has stopped. Sun made major
>changes in the print services for 2.6. The printer works fine from
>the Sun and I believe I've done all the steps spelled out by Sun to
>make this printer available to other Sun boxes but I still can't print
>from DU (or NT3.51). Sun calls their new print services the "Print
>Protocol Adapter" and describe it as a "Complete BSD print protocol
>implementation plus extended Solaris functionality" :-/ When I try
>to print from the Alpha, the entry just sits in the queue.
>
>Here is my printcap entry (which was working with Solaris 2.5):
>
>lp|lp0|lp:\
> :lf=/usr/adm/lperr:\
> :lp=:\
> :rm=local.sun.host.name:\
> :rp=psdg:\
> :mx#0:\
> :sd=/usr/spool/lpd:
>

>lpstat -t shows:
>
>System default destination: lp
>Scheduler is running
>Output for printer lp is sent to remote printer psdg on local.sun.host.name
>.
>.
>lp:
> printer is on remote host local.sun.host.name with name psdg
> queuing is enabled
> printing is enabled
> no entries
> Mon Jun 29 12:41:51 1998: waiting for local.sun.host.name to come up
>.
>.
>Requests on lp:
>local.alpha.host.name: Mon Jun 29 12:41:51 1998: waiting for
>local.sun.host.name to come up

Donn Aiken - daiken_at_regents.edu
>I'm sure you thought of this already, but is your Alpha host name in
>/etc/hosts.lpd?

Edward Lauzier - LauzierE_at_hanscom.af.mil
>You probably have to turn on a BSD daemon or have the scheduler
>know that a particular queue is for BSD printing. I know on SGIs
>we had to install optional software to get the BSD printing working
>so we could print to one printer we had that sys5 printing could
>not deal with...( this means we had to have a printcap entry on the
>SGI spooling machine to serve the network...).

The Solution:

I finally revisited this problem yesterday and found out that the line
in /etc/inetd.conf which starts the new "BSD Print Protocol Adapter"
daemon was missing. The reason it was missing is that I used a U.S. EPA
provided TCP Wrappers installation which replaced the inetd.conf file
with a version which must have come from an older version of Solaris.
We have a group that "tests" and distributes patches and software for
our different UNIX platforms and I blindly assumed it should work :-(
Here is the line I was missing:

    printer stream tcp nowait root /usr/lib/print/in.lpd in.lpd

Thanks to those who responded!

     _/_/_/ _/_/ _/ _/ Dan West - Systems Analyst
    _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ ManTech Environmental
   _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ R.S. Kerr Environmental Research Lab
  _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ e-mail: west.daniel_at_epa.gov
 _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ http://www.epa.gov/ada/kerrlab.html
** Disclaimer: Text reflects my opinions, not ManTech's nor the EPA's. **